Dimensional modeling (DM) places and emphasis on the end user’s experience. The goal is to create a data model that performs well and is simple to query. In many cases a star schema does a great job of accomplishing these goals. However, there are plenty of situations where a single fact table with direct relationships […]
Ok, full disclosure, this really has nothing to do with quitting your job. On the contrary, if you work in the field of analytics it has everything to do with how you do your job. In particular, how you decide what to work on, and when to stop working on any particular analytics problem. It […]
At LeapFrogBI we use the term data solution to refer to the portion of the overall analytics system that acquires data and makes it report-ready. The data solution (not the reporting software) is the most important factor in determining what types of reporting can be produced, and by who. We group data solutions into five […]
These days you can buy some really great analytics software. In the past ten years it has improved dramatically, and today it enables rapid report development, easy dashboarding and robust ad-hoc data analysis. You can get it hosted or installed on-premise, and run it in virtually any environment on any database. In addition to all […]
Before you go and start a new analytics project, consider these sobering statistics. As far back as 2005 Gartner began ringing the warning bells. ”More than 50 percent of data warehouse projects will have limited acceptance, or will be outright failures, as a result of a lack of attention to data quality issues” they reported. […]
Mauris sit natoque dolor condimentum himenaeos curabitur imperdiet fringilla, mollis platea consequat consectetur. Risus sapien hac tristique. Praesent magnis cursus proin etiam condimentum hac. Viverra praesent, ad proin lorem est class blandit id maecenas felis. Metus dictum interdum parturient viverra magnis curae; id potenti tellus. Tempor massa ullamcorper est turpis molestie penatibus dictumst dui nam. […]
(This is the final part of a three-part series illuminating the challenges of data analytics and describing a proven solution to the problem.) In part one, Measuring the Cost of Doing Business With Insufficient Analytics, we learned that, on average, data analysts spend 4 days a week organizing data, leaving only one day per week to conduct […]
In part one of this series, Measuring the Cost of Doing Business with Insufficient Analytics, I referenced a series of studies conducted over the past five years showing that data analysts spend about 80% of their time organizing data. They devote only one day per week to analyzing data and generating reports, suggesting that their job function […]
Under Construction… We are in the process of publishing our roadmap. For now, below is a list of the most commonly requested features. Got a request? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We keep track of all requests, and we do our best to get them added to a upcoming release.
A recent survey conducted by CrowdFlower and summarized on Forbes found data scientists spend most of their time massaging rather than modeling or mining data for insights. It seems 79% of their time is spent either accessing or preparing data, leaving only 21% for everything else. Far from being a new problem, this same issue has […]
The ”data lake”, a catchy new buzzword in analytics circles, has many people wondering if they still need a data warehouse. You may have heard that you can run analysis directly against the data lake, and that’s true. This quickly leads to the question, why build a data warehouse when you can have a data […]
What is a dimensional model? What is a data warehouse? This video introduces dimensional modeling while setting the stage for the series of dimensional modeling training videos to follow.